Submitted by Jo Bessell
Hearty Chicken Soup
- 2 chicken marylands (or 700-800 grams of any chicken bits)
- 1 ham hock (approx 800 grams)
- 2 litres chicken stock (salt reduced)
- 1-2 vegetable stock cubes
- 250 grams risone (pasta)
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 medium sweet potato
- 1 small half of butternut pumpkin
- 1/2 broccoli tree
- 1 small onion
- 1 leek
- 2 cloves garlic
- For the Veggies -
- Dice the carrot, sweet potato and pumpkin into small squares.
- Slice the celery and cut the broccoli into small pieces including the stem (add veggies straight into the slowcooker)
- Slice the leek, dice the onion and add to a separate pan and saut with the garlic for a few minutes. (Add to slowcooker)
- Give the veggies a mix and prepare the meat.
- For the Meat -
- It's important to remove the skin and any extra fat you can see off the ham hock (add to slowcooker)
- Cut all the skin off the chicken marylands (you can use any cut of chicken, I just like the flavour of the meat from the bones.
- Place the prepared meat on top of the veggies and add the 2 litres of chicken stock. (The vegetable stock cube is for later on)
- Cook on high for 4.5 hours (or low for 7 hours)
- (All slow cookers are different and times will vary)
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Leaving slowcooker on high (or put it on high) add the 250 grams of Risoni and stir, pop the lid back and attend to the meat.
- Cut all the meat off the bones and dice into pieces. (It doesn't have to be falling off the bone to be ready) I didn't want strands of meat but you can cook it longer if you do.
- Add diced meat back into the slowcooker giving it a stir.
- (At this point I decided I wanted more juice as there was a lot of meat so I added approx 800mls of BOILING water and 1.5 vegetable stock cubes.)
- Keep stiring regularly until Risoni is cooked (mine took only 30 mins)
- Once you are happy with the consistency and flavour then turn it off and you are done. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think