Submitted by Kate Brodie
Hock and veggie soup
- 1 medium sized ham hock approx 1kg or larger (can buy from a supermarket or butcher)
- 1 or 2 beef cubes
- Half a packet of soup mix (I use the Italian style soup mix)
- 3 x potatoes
- 3 x carrots
- 2 x celery or leeks or both
- 1 x swede
- 1 x turnip
- Water to cover
The first step:
- Place the hock into the slow cooker and add water to cover
- Cook on low for 12 hours
The second step:
- After 12 hours remove the lid and take out the hock and remove and discard the skin and bone, shred up the meat into small pieces and place them back into the slower cooker with the liquids still in pot.
- Add the soup mix
- Add the beef cube/s
- Add the potato's and veggies (try and cut both the potato's and veggies into similar sizes to ensure that they cook evenly).
- Place lid back on and cook on high for 2 hours and then on low for 8 hours.
- Enjoy 🙂
- This is a 12 hr + recipe but the timing can be played around with 🙂
- Please note time slide can only go to 12hrs max when loading this recipe but full times are those specified here in method
- No salt is needed because the hock is pretty salty itself
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!