Submitted by Kelly Ryan
Healthy Bowl of Pork and Pearl Barley
- 1 1/2 cups of pearl barley
- 900g pork tenderloin (2 x Aldi serves), sliced 1.5 cm thick
- 4 Carrots, diced
- " equal amount of celery, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 50g ham, diced
- 1 jar red pasta sauce
- wholemeal flour
- 4 cloves
- Turn slow cooker on HIGH to pre-heat
- With a splash of oil, fry off carrot, celery and onion in a fry pan to speed up the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, coat pork pieces in flour and place into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- As veg starts to soften and onions become clear, add cloves and thyme, and cook for another minute or 2.
- Pour in jar of red pasta sauce, plus the same amount of water and stir.
- Pour veg over the pork and cook for 1 hour on high, then turn to low for another 1 hour.
- Add pearl barley and stir through, keeping as everything covered with liquid.
- (it will seem watery at this stage but the pearl barley will absorb most of the liquid)
- Continue to cook on low for another hour.
- Serve as is for a very healthy dinner or tomorrow's lunch.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think