Submitted by Shannon Siebel
Hangi / Oomu
- Banana stem & leaves (can use cellery stalks instead)
- Sweet Potato
- Hangi or Oomu traditional Maori/Islander cooking in ground.
- Inspired by the post a couple of weeks back with the hangi parcels in alfoil.
- I tried this in a 6L cooker, young banana trunks (you could use celery instead) to keep everything out of the juices, layer up the meat and vege's.
- I didn't have any pork so put bacon on the top to add the flavour, banana leaves around the edges and on top.
- Just 1/4 cup of water in the bottom, on low about 8 hours.
- Lots of juice which I strained and turned into gravy.
- It was very close to a proper hangi flavour yum.
- Someone mentioned using smoke essence in the last hangi post which might be a good idea.
- So much easier than digging a hole in the ground and heating up rocks!!
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think