A tasty beef in a rich herb and garlic gravy. Perfect served with creamy mashed potato, carrots and corn cobs. You might like to include some crusty bread or soft white dinner rolls to get every last drop of the gravy off your plates too – it’s that yummy!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Diced beef in Rich Rosemary and Garlic Gravy
- 1kg diced beef (blade, chuck, oyster etc – nothing too lean or it gives a drier result)
- 1 Tblsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 Tblsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme (or 1Tblsp fresh)
- 1/4 cup of plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1tsp beef stock powder
- I large onion, diced
- 4 large, palm length stalks of fresh rosemary (or 1T dried rosemary)
- 40g of your favourite gravy (dry powder only)
- ½ cup warm water
- Place diced beef in a large bowl, add garlic, tomato paste and thyme and mix to coat well
- Combine flour with salt, pepper & dry stock powder and dust over the meat
- Again, stir to coat well.
- Add coated meat and onion to slow cooker and lay rosemary stalks on top.
- Cook on low for 5hrs, stirring once or twice during cooking
- Remove rosemary stalks and discard. Stir.
- Combine the gravy powder with the ½ cup of warm water, stirring until smooth. Stire this into the meat mixture and cook for a further 30mins.
- (Cooked in 5L slow cooker)