Submitted by Robyn Clark
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- Pinch salt
- 1 diced small onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 small chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon chilli
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic or 4 cloves fresh
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Greek yoghurt
- Wash the lentils in cold water to remove any scum.
- Place in your SC with the water , turmeric and salt and turn onto high.
- Leave cooking for about an hour or more , depending on your cooker .
- Fry off all the spices and the onion and tomato in the butter and add to the lentils.
- Continue cooking on high until everything reduces and looks like soup...this took an additional 30mins in my 1.5L slow cooker (which cooks hot so yours may need longer)
- Add the lemon squeeze and adjust any flavours to your taste.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt.
- Makes enough for 2 people.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
5 thoughts on “Dahl”
Nice. I added a tablespoon of honey and salt and pepper to taste at the end
I doubled the recipe and added 1 cup red and one cup brown lentils. I used a tin of crushed tomatoes and fried in a few curry leaves.
If you’re not big on spicy, halve the chilli amount.
I made 2 batches of this- one with chilli and another without. I added paprika to the hot one so we could differentiate.
Changed water to vegie stock and added crumbled up cauliflower in the last 15mins to add a bit more texture.
Surprisingly very tastey, even hubby enjoyed it.
Delicious. Nothing to add. Will make it again.
Can I use a tin of brown lentils instead?