A creamy Mexican chicken sauce over macaroni – yum!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Creamy Fajita Macaroni Chicken
A creamy Mexican chicken sauce over macaroni - yum!
- 1-1.25kg skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 x 125g cans of diced capsicum - drained
- 300ml cooking cream
- 250g block of cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons of concentrated tomato paste
- 40g sachet of Mexican fajita seasoning
- 3 strands of green onions/eschalots, sliced
- 400g (raw weight) macaroni pasta, COOKED
- Optional: fresh coriander to serve
- Slice thigh fillets into strips and add to slow cooker
- Add capsicum. (You can also swap this canned variety for one small red and one small green capsicum fresh, diced small, if you wish)
- Combine the cooking cream, cream cheese, tomato paste and fajita seasoning and pour over.
- Cook on low for 4.5hrs - adding in the fresh green onion slices only in the last 20mins of cooking.
- I cooked this in a 5L slow cooker and I had room to spoon in my cooked macaroni. Otherwise use another large bowl to combine the two to mix well.
- Serve immediately
- Lovely served with a sprinkle of fresh coriander (even if I'm the only family member who will eat this herb hahaha)
- Note: This is not spicy so suitable for the whole family
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
19 thoughts on “Creamy Fajita Macaroni Chicken”
5 stars it was the best whole family loved it even my 11 year old said it’s his favorite meal and has over taken the lasagna even enough for left overs thanks for your easy great recipes ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Kids said it was a bit spicy! Husband absolutely loved. Be nice with bacon or even beef to make a shredded beef for loaded fries 😍
Really tasty!! Everyone loved it.
Very easy to make and tasty. Makes a good amount for work lunches.
This was a huge hit in my house!! My kids loved it, my 13 yr old went back for seconds, and has asked me to make sure this meal is a regular in our house!!
They didn’t find it spicy at all.
My 2 boys, 11 and 15, NEVER agree on anything, but loved this. Hubby and I also enjoyed!
The taste was sensational, plus the amount it makes is huge!!.. my leftovers are going in the pie maker with grated tasty cheese for dinner tomorrow night. Two meals out of one dish! So budget friendly.
Absolutely loved this. Showed a friend the recipe and we both decided to cook it the same night to share the anticipation. What a hit. Made such a large amount I was able to share the love with a couple other people as well. Only alteration I made was putting a brown onion in as I didn’t have any green onions. Would definitely make again.
We loved this!! Next time I’m going to add other veggies and another flavour sachet as well just to get more of a Mexican flavour throughout
Absolutely delicious…. we tried for the first time and the whole family loved it! Would love to try with fresh capsicum next time but definitely adding to our list of favourites . Serving size was great, just enough left over to take for lunch the next day… 😋😀
I made this the other night and my family loved this! I’ve had requests to make more already!!!
Question guys, i have teens that eat like adult men, I am feeding 5 people, do you think maybe i should not exactly double this but maybe add an extra half of everything? making this tomm ill come back and review 🙂
Sorry I didn’t see this msg in time but I see you nailed it 🙂
Wowee this was delicious, now I did make some adjustments but damn this one’s a keeper, I doubled the cream, doubled the fajita seasoning, I added one sachet of chilli con carn and 2 sliced French shallots, because I had them but if I didn’t I would have used red or brown onion, oh and I used fresh capsicum , I also doubled the spring onions, I used 500g penne pasta instead of 400g of Mac, and added the crunchy ends of the green onion at the start and the green parts 20 min before serving like suggested.
Next time I’ll add corn, yes it was saucier than needed to be but I like that, oh my……if I had garlic bread I would have sopped up those juices with it!!! It’s a keeper. Whole family cleaned their bowls, this made 6 large serves
Sensational! This is my new favourite recipe.
I put the thigh fillets in whole, cooked for 5 hours and then shredded before I put the cooked pasta in. I also used fresh capsicum.
Delicious! I used breast instead of thigh and it still turned out beautifully.
I made this last week as a double recipe with no capsicum (1 family is allergic) for me, my toddler, and 3 other families.
1 family found it abit spicy for them but managed to eat it by adding some natural plain Greek yoghurt.
I found it good with a little kick, but my suprise was that when I made it in a wrap with some cheese and mayo, my very fussy toddler ate 3 wraps of the meal.
I’ve never thought to serve it on wraps Toni – great suggestion!
Really delicious. I didn’t use macaroni, but subbed in zoodles at the end, just on the side. I used 1kg diced chicken thigh, 250 g diced capsicum, 50g pizza sauce, 200ml cooking cream, 225g diced cream cheese and homemade fajita seasoning. It was so yum! So easy and quick to do up zoodles when the meal was cooked.