Submitted by Adeline Clark
Chinese braised duck with mushrooms
- 2 duck Marylands
- 1 tabsp light soy sauce (Gluten free variety if GF)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tabsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- Half tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- Half tsp Sichuan pepper
- 1 thumb-sized piece young ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 large dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water
- 2 eshallots cut into 3 cm pieces
- Marinate duck Maryland pieces in soy sauces, cooking wine, sugar, Sichuan pepper and spice powder for an hour.
- Squeeze water from mushrooms and cut into quarters. Reserve the mushroom water.
- Sauté garlic and ginger. Lift duck from marinade and add to fry pan, brown the duck pieces. Add marinade and 1cup of mushroom water, and simmer 1 minute.
- Put mushrooms in slow cooker (1.5lt size) and place duck, garlic, ginger and liquid on top.
- Add eshallots .
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Skim off the fat and thicken the sauce with cornflour.
- Optional: Add lettuce leaves ( I use the tough outer leaves) or some sliced wongbok leaves and cook till soft.
- Serve with steamed rice or egg noodles.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think