Submitted by Alanna
- Olive oil, to grease
- 2 (about 300g) carrots
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (80g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (185ml) oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250g spreadable cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat SC to high. Grease a 20cm (base) round cake pan lightly with oil, and line with non-stick baking paper. Peel and grate the carrots, and set aside. Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Put the brown sugar, oil, golden syrup, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Use a balloon whisk to mix until combined.
- Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir gently until just combined. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and pop in SC with a rack or jar lid underneath to keep pan from touching base of SC. Place a tea towel under lid and cook for 2hr 15 mins (this time will vary depending on your Sc, I would advise checking every 10-15 mins after about 1 1/2hrs. Set aside for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mix until well combined.
- Spread the icing over the cake.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!