Submitted by Katy Kat
- 500g braising steak
- 500g new potatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 onions cut into wedges
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp spicy chipotle chilli paste (optional)
- 1 beef stock pot
- 200ml water
- 250ml red wine
- 500g carton of passata
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 red and 1 green pepper cut into chunks
- Chopped parsley
- Half fat crème fraiche dolloped on top to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the steak, sprinkle over the paprika and brown for a few minutes then transfer to sc.
- Add onions to the pan with a large splash of the red wine to loosen any paprika bits and add the chipotle paste if using, saut for a few minutes then add to the sc (I then swish some more red wine round the pan for a minute or two then add this to the sc too).
- Add all the other ingredients to the sc except the pepper chunks and parsley.
- Cook on low for 6 or 7 hrs then add the pepper chunks and cook for a further 1 hour.
- Add the fresh chopped parsley just before serving.
- ** Alternative - if you do not wish to use potatoes (I add them to make it a one pot meal) then add 1kg of beef instead of 500g.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
4 thoughts on “Beef Goulash”
I made this dish last night for me and hubby. I had enough left for me tonight (and tomorrow night)which is a bonus as he left on a Business trip today. It was totally amazing last night, but even better tonight. I love it and it will be a favourite over winter. The only thing I changed was the cut of meat….I used Rump Steak. Thanks Katy Kat for the awesome recipe 🙂
This was nice, tasty and easy. I cooked it on high for 4 hours instead and used rump steak also ?
Really delicious and easy to make. This is my husbands favourite slow cooker meal! Thanks!
If I wanted to add carrots to this when would you put it in? With one hour to go?