Submitted by Narelle Youngs
- 1.5kg sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- In a large pan, cook bacon over medium-high heat
- Stir occasionally until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned (about 20 minutes).
- With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan
- Add onions and garlic
- Cook until onions are translucent (about 6 minutes).
- Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil
- Stir and scrape up browned bits from pan with a wooden spoon (about 2 minutes).
- Add bacon and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a 6-quart (5.5 to 6 Litre) slow cooker
- Cook on HIGH for approximately 3.5 to 4 hours LID OFF .
- Transfer to a food processor
- Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Let cool.
- Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 4 weeks.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!