A tasty creamy potato side dish – could be served hot or cold!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Bacon and Egg Hot Potato
A tasty creamy potato side dish - could be served hot or cold!
- 750g potatoes
- 300ml cooking cream *see notes*
- 3 rashers of middle bacon, rind removed and diced
- 1 heaped tsp minced garlic
- 1tsp mustard powder
- 1-2 tblsp fresh chives, chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, roughly choppped
- Bring 2L water to boil while you prepare potatoes
- Peel potatoes and dice into approx. 2cm sized cubes
- Add the potato to water when it's at full boil. Start a 10minute timer now. Remove from water after 10mins. It will take a while for the water to return to the boil but that's ok. It's still 10mins total from adding them to the already boiling water, to taking them off. You only want them slightly par boiled, not cooked. Drain potato then add it to slow cooker.
- Add in the cooking cream, diced bacon, garlic and mustard powder.
- Gently mix to combine
- Cook on low
- After cooking for 2.5hrs, gently fold through chives and chopped egg, but avoid excessive stirring so as not to mash up the soft potato pieces
- Then continue to cook for another 30mins to warm egg etc if it's been in fridge until now.
- Total cooking time is 3hrs on low (test that potato is tender and cooked through)
- Serve as a hot side to your main dish, or could be refrigerated as a cold side to your next BBQ or salad
- If you are using regular cream instead of the preferred cooking cream, add 1tsp corn flour to the cream first to help prevent any splitting
- If serving cold at a later time, store in fridge and consume within 48hrs
- If your slow cooker tends to cook hot keep a little extra cream on hand to add if it dries out too much, but this amount was perfect in my 3.5L slow cooker
- It does not taste like mustard - for anyone concerned about that seasoning addition 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!