Submitted by Karen Stuckings
Bacon and herb whole chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 heaped tsp chopped garlic (add more or less to own tastes)
- 3 rashes of short cut bacon chopped with visible fat removed (raw)
- 20 grams butter cut in half
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- ground pepper to taste
- ground pink salt to taste
- Take chicken and push hand under skin of breast to separate from flesh but try not to rip skin.
- Rub garlic under the skin all over the breast.
- Push chopped bacon under the skin keeping it as even as possible. Place butter under skin, half on each side of breast.
- Mix thyme, sage, salt and pepper then rub over the skin.
- Place chicken into slow cooker along with enough water so it comes an inch up the side of the pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on size of chicken and your slow cooker.
- You can also add any vegetables you wish, I added chat potatoes half way through cooking that I had pricked with a fork. If you want crispy skin, once cooked sprinkle a small amount of oil over chicken, I used peanut oil, and place in hot oven.
- The stock that is left in slow cooker can be drained and oil on top removed and used to make a gravy or frozen to use at a later time.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think