Yes you read that right – 40 cloves of garlic!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
40 Clove Garlic Chicken
Yes you read that right - 40 cloves of garlic!
- 10 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on - not fillets)
- 1.5 tablespoons salted butter
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 2 heaped teaspoons of chicken stock powder
- 40 cloves of garlic, peeled *see notes below in method *
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used Jacobs Creek Sav Blanc)
- 8-10 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley chopped
- (Optional : Chicken gravy powder/granules)
- Lay chicken out on a board or dish, skin side up. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle chicken with the dry chicken stock powder.
- Using a searing slow cooker (or fry pan if you don't have a searing slow cooker) melt butter.
- Place chicken thighs skin side down and sear briefly until lightly browned for colour and maximum flavour.
- If you did it in your searing slow cooker simply turn chicken to now face skin side up and return to slow cooking mode. (If you had used a pan for this now is the time to add your chicken and any cooking butter etc into your slow cooker)
- Add wine and garlic cloves around chicken.
- Add thyme and parsley.
- Cook on LOW for 5hrs.
- If you do not wish to make gravy simply remove chicken pieces from cooking liquids and serve with seasonal fresh vegetables. We serve with baby potatoes, steamed carrot, fresh corn on the cob and steamed broccolini
- If you wish to make gravy remove chicken, cover and set aside to keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquids to remove all solids like garlic and herbs so only liquid remains. Add liquid to a small saucepan on stove top and add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken gravy powder/granules while whisking to reduce and thicken to gravy consistency
- Plate up chicken with vegetables and pour over your garlic chicken gravy 🙂
- I buy a bulk bag of peeled garlic cloves from my local produce store, Some wholesale shops have them too. It's $6 for 1kg. We LOVE garlic! I freeze the rest until I need them. However if peeling fresh from bulbs it would be approximately 2 full heads of garlic.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
12 thoughts on “40 Clove Garlic Chicken”
This is delicious, I used Maryland and chicken stock instead of wine. I’ll definitely make again 😊
With two picky kids out of three, I was a bit nervous making this one. Even I was a bit concerned that it was going to be way too much garlic, and I’m one that measures with my heart. However, it was a hit and my youngest told me it was the best chicken he’s ever had. Definitely worth the hour spent peeling the garlic 😂
Would chicken breast. Work for this ? Fussy. Husband lol
It will work. The result is just more dry with breast. 2-3hrs low.
Is there a reason for the bone in thigh, would though fillets work the same?
You could use both Kath that’s fine 🙂
Wow! This is a new weekly favourite in my house. I love garlic and this is the perfect amount for me. My fussy son (doesn’t usually eat garlic) also devours this. We use chicken stock instead of wine and use thigh fillets.
Do you crush the garlic cloves or just leave them whole?
Leave the whole.
I’ve made this a few times now with a whole chicken (x 2 once)! And it is just delicious! Cannot rate it highly enough. Has a very French cuisine feel with the butter, wine and garlic … and if you make gravy at the end from the juices … it will take to a higher place! 😜🤤😍
Thanks Mia for such lovely feedback!!