April 8, 2018
A simple & tasty classic...slow cooker style!
6 hrs 15 mins
- 500g chicken breasts (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion (halved & thickly sliced or cut into quarters and separated)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely diced)
- 1/2 red capsicum (deseeded & sliced lengthwise)
- 1/2 green capsicum (deseeded & sliced lengthwise)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and sliced into rounds)
- 1x 440g tin of pineapple pieces in juice (separate the pieces from the juice)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
11. Place all veggies & pineapple pieces in the slow cooker
22. Place soy sauce, tomato sauce, brown sugar & juice from the pineapple tin in a bowl and whisk together. Pour over veggies
33. Combine cornstarch, salt & pepper in a bowl and coat chicken well
44. Heat oil in a pan and cook the chicken until browned, then transfer to slow cooker. Stir gently to combine ingredients
55. Cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low
66. Serve with rice
1- Cook using tea towel trick
2- If you like veggies firmer, add them halfway through cooking time instead & gently stir to combine
Submitted by Daniela Nonkovic
November 20, 2019
Alternative Tips to thicken it HERE
November 18, 2019
Is it necessary to use the tea Towel? I want to make this while i’m at work
September 23, 2019
This is such a tasty easy recipe. Cheaper and healthier then take out too
May 23, 2019
So delicious and so easy to make
October 18, 2018
Made this tonight and we really enjoyed it. Only changes I made is that I used tinned pineapple in natural juice and just 1/4 cup coconut sugar instead of the quantity of brown sugar recipe stated. I also had a zucchini I needed to use up so popped that in as well. . Served it with quinoa. Have leftovers for tomorrow so makes quite a bit.
June 24, 2018
Made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious!! My partner said it tasted better than the restaurant! Will definitely make again. I garnished with some cashews . Yum yum yum!
June 1, 2018
Made this tonight and it turned out really well. Tasted exactly like the store bought jars of sweet and sour sauce
May 30, 2018
If you can’t have it then it’s not an option for you so leave it out. It will cut a lot of the sweet from your sweet and sour though 🙂
Will it effect it to much if I don’t add the pineapple? I’m allergic so can’t use it.
May 26, 2018
Absolutely delicious and is going to be a regular on our menu. Added some celery and extra meat and veg to feed our family, didn’t bother browning the meat off just chopped and added to the veg mix and turned it on to cook.
May 6, 2018
I’ve been trying to find a good sweet and sour recipe for ages now – This is the best one I’ve come across by far! I used 1kg of pork steaks instead of chicken and added some broccolini about an hour before serving 🙂
April 17, 2018
Amazing recipe. I tried this one a while ago when i first saw it on here. So yummy will be making it a regular 🙂
All fields are required to submit a review.
Notify me of new posts by email.
Please note that all comments are held in moderation and manually approved. It may be several minutes until you see yours. Please Do Not resubmit your comment during this time.