May 13, 2015
7 hrs 30 mins
1 x tablespoon olive oil
1 x finely chopped small brown onion
2 x garlic cloves, crushed
1 x leek, sliced (white part)
2 x sticks celery, diced
3 – 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled, diced
650g ham hock
1 1/2 cup green split peas, washed, rinsed (rinse until the water is clear)
3 - 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
½ litre of cold water (depends on how thick you want the soup to be)
1 x dried bay leaf
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, cracked pepper and crusty bread, to serve
11. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, celery, leek, potatoes, ham hock, peas, stock, bay leaf and 1 liter cold water. Cover with lid.
22. Cook on low for 6 hours.
33. Remove hock from soup. Discard the bone.
44. Shred ham. Return ham & rind (I think that this adds extra flavour) to soup. Cook on low for 1 hour or until ham and peas are tender.
55. Remove and discard of rind.
66. Use a stick blender to blend together, but try and leave some chunky bits of potato and ham
77. Serve with parsley, cracked pepper and crusty bread.
Submitted by Nathalie Madden
June 6, 2016
being my first pea and ham soup it was really nice, a great recipe, i also added about 1/4 cup cream at the end to make it that little bit more creamy, will def cook again!
All fields are required to submit a review.
Notify me of new posts by email.
Please note that all comments are held in moderation and manually approved. It may be several minutes until you see yours. Please Do Not resubmit your comment during this time.